Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

The Vault Dwellers' Cookbook- An Explanation of the Title

I went from a casual gamer to girl gamer warrior in the Spring of 2009. I had just gone through my first truly adult experience (as in someone screwed me out of a whole lotta money) and I was unemployed. I would roll out of bed and go into my gaming cave. All the windows were covered so I never had to see the light of day, and my only sustenance was a large box of Airheads. I would turn on my Xbox and say "Hello" the warm familiar green hue of Fallout 3. I spent 150 hours on this game in about a month. I have every achievement you can get while still being a good character. I have the Bible. I have Bethesda Disease. Every time they put out a game, I get this glazed look on my face and withdraw from the world. It looks a little something like this:
That's it, we've lost her.
I had locked myself away from the world in my own little Vault. I didn't want to deal with the cruel world, so I hid hoping that the douche bag fallout would be over soon. Cooking was my way out. I lifted myself from my stupor and sugar high and went into the kitchen. I made frozen chicken cordon bleu for my family with mashed potatoes and a made-from-scratch dijon sauce. It was easy, and what I needed. I began cleaning my house and slowly acclimating myself back into the real world, but I was a different person. I was a gamer. 

The douche bag fallout has never cleared, but gaming still provides a way for me to tune out of it for a little while and be in a world that centers around me. Cooking is my way to reconnect with the people that matter when I go a little cyber crazy. It only seemed fair that I make this blog for all my other fellow Vault Dwellers by putting cooking in their language. Leave your Vault, make a meal, and contribute to the world a little bit. It'll be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment